Skateistan

Oliver Percovich is an Australian who brought "Skateistan" up to the streets of Kabul. It sounds weird but it is an amazing project.
Since 2007, skateboarding has taken off in the capital thanks to him, and the co-educational skateboarding school raised enough money to build first Afghanistan's skate park!
The aim of "Skateistan" is to give young people an escape from difficult everyday life in Kabul. This non-profit project has obviously attracted international support and it is now getting well known.
"When I got to Afghanistan people told me not to skate with girls because it might attract criticism, not to skate in the streets because it might be dangerous, not to skate with poor kids because they would steal my stuff. But none of that happened, I haven't had any problems with the kids at all". said Olivier Percovich, founder of the project

Please enjoy the video as much as I do.


source: Guardian & New York Times